YES!! I made it to five years in business!
Many businesses fail in the first five years. I am still around, celebrating with a cupcake with my family, as it has become a tradition.
It was a good decision to start Appeal Marketing when my kids were five and seven years old. Now at ages ten and twelve, my kids are more self-sufficient. They still need mom, though, for their many sports and activities. I am our head family logistics manager, kids’ taxi driver, and loudest cheerleader. Look how cute they are photobombing me!
I am proud that Appeal Marketing has retained several of its first clients through today. I have continued to do good work for and with wonderful people. As I mentioned in my last business anniversary, I am still doing account management work for another company in a part-time capacity. It’s a nice mix of work with my Appeal Marketing clients.
Being able to manage my work schedule has meant that I can devote more time to community involvement. I was proud to serve on my local school board for the last 3.5 years. I leaned into my entrepreneurial skills and outstanding network to run a re-election campaign. Unfortunately, I came up 59 votes short in the April election. It was a wild experience to lead during a pandemic. My re-election campaign was even wilder.
With fewer meetings in my life, I am glad to take a pause, lean into work, volunteering, and simply enjoy time with my family.
As I did last year, I’m reflecting on celebrations in several areas of my life:
- Wrote technical content for a B2B manufacturing website
- Spread good news and support communications and branding for non-profit clients
- Supporting ongoing client communication while achieving awesome email open rates for an electrical distributor.
- Working on more complex projects for multiple clients with a talented marketing team
Personal Celebrations: Supporting TEAM OLIG
- Coached my son’s 4th grade basketball team
- Helping with team parent responsibilities for baseball
- Family logistics expert as my husband coaches soccer
- Finished serving 3.5 years on the School Board for the School District of Menomonee Falls
- Ran a positive re-election campaign with the support of so many kind, intelligent people in my community
- Organized a parish pancake party in Fall – one of the first events to come back after the pandemic waned
- Staying involved with Collective Impact group and early literacy efforts
- Leading planning for the church Corn Roast
I look forward to seeing what the next year ahead will bring! Cheers to 5 years in business! Thanks to my family, friends, colleagues and connections for being so supportive!